by Arizona Medifast
There is a proven link between which amino acids are being ingested and weight loss. Amino acids are the building blocks of the cells in the body, and the proper intake during a weight loss program will insure that muscle tissue remains, while fat is burned. There are two primary functions of amino acids: the synthesis of proteins for the body, and as the components of oxidization to provide energy.
There are eight specific amino acids which must be obtained through eating, as the body cannot produce the correct amounts of these alone. If the proper amino acids are not consumed, any efforts towards weight loss will be adversely affected. It is entirely possible for a workout program to provide little to no benefit for an individual, if these acids are not a regular part of that program’s nutritional component.
What Amino Acids Must Be Obtained Through Eating?
Each of the food-based acids serves a different function in the loss of weight, making it crucial to obtain all eight regularly.
- The acid epinephrine curbs appetite, reducing over-all hunger and the desire to eat. Serotonin creates a feeling of fullness for the body, reducing the amount of food one needs to stop the sensation of hunger.
- L-Trytophan is a precursor to serotonin and assists in its function.
- L-Tyrosine and L-Phenylalanine work in unison to create other important amino acids, including the aforementioned epinephrine, norepinephrine, and dopamine. Each of these serves a different function in the brain, and work to assist in weight loss for the individual.
- L-Phenylalanine controls the ability of the brain to observe fullness and hunger, and also creates a desire of the body to maintain a specific weight once it has been obtained.
- The final amino acid to be gained from food is L-Carnitine, which is a natural weight suppressant. L-Carnitine functions differently from other amino acids, as it stimulates the direct metabolization of fat, rather than having the body store it.
Maintaining the proper levels of amino acids during a workout program can greatly improve the weight loss obtained while improving over-all health.
Where Can These Amino Acids be Obtained?
When it comes to obtaining the appropriate amount of amino acids during a weight loss program, Medifast has already figured that out for you. The Medifast weight loss program is a nutritionally sound, safe and great tasting assortment of meals. There is no calorie counting necessary or dramatic calculations on minerals, vitamins, amino acids, etc.
During the Medifast program, the necessary amino acids are provided for you in the program options. No worries!
Amino Acids: Bulk up on Protein
One rule of thumb for an amino acid-based workout is that having a caloric intake of approximately 30% protein will go a long way in obtaining all eight acids daily, something that our Medifast program provides. This protein rich program is a key factor in providing the right amount of beneficial amino acids to curb appetite and increase long-term weight loss.