Diabetes is known as the silent killer because about one third of the patients do not know that they are suffering from this disease. This is because often diabetes does not show any major symptoms.
Most people become aware of the disease only after they develop life-threatening risks such as neuropathy, heart problems, and blindness. About 1 out of 10 adults in the world is suffering from this disease and 50% of them are not diagnosed.
It has been reported that around 400 million people in the world are suffering from diabetes and the number is increasing rapidly. Type 1, Type 2 and gestational diabetes are the three types of diabetes. To prevent and understand diabetes in a better way, it is important to know about the shocking facts on diabetes. Some of them are as follows:
- Contrary to the popular belief, diabetes is not caused by eating excessive sugar. Sedentary lifestyle of people is the main reason for the occurrence of diabetes. Proper diet and exercise will delay or reduce the prevalence of diabetes. However, if you already have diabetes then you need to be careful about your sugar intake.
- About 5 million adults are suffering from blindness and one million people are amputated every year due to diabetes.
- Diabetes is one of the major causes of cataract, stroke, heart attack, and kidney failure.
- Moderate exercise and weight loss will help you prevent diabetes. With lifestyle changes, 80% of the Type 2 diabetes can be prevented. It is important that you make exercise and healthy meal a part of your life.
- According to research studies, low and middle income families are most likely to suffer from this disease.
- In US, 16% of adults are managing diabetes without any medication. These patients are controlling diabetes with the help of proper exercise and diet. However, this requires great dedication and will power.
- In US, diabetes is a major cause of death, the numbers are bigger than the deaths caused by AIDS and breast cancer put together. Most of the people do not take diabetes seriously. The chances of one catching diabetes depend on several things including ethnicity, age, and family history of the person. Death rate with diabetes is 27% higher in Afro-Americans than in white people with diabetes.
- Asians are more prone to this disease than white people.
- Type 1 diabetes is caused by the shortage of insulin production and Type 2 diabetes is caused by the ineffectiveness of insulin. Type 1 diabetes, common in children, adolescents or young adults, is an autoimmune disease and lasts for lifelong. In type 2 diabetes, the body of the patient produces insulin, but it is not effective in breaking down glucose. Type 2 diabetes is diagnosed mainly in adults and it is a metabolic disorder.
- The most shocking fact is that diabetes is not curable. Hence, you have to manage diabetes with medications, insulin injections, balanced diet, and physical activity.