Along with changing your diet, increasing your activity is one of the best things you can do to achieve and maintain your weight loss goals. When envisioning increased activity, many people see themselves spending hours sweating it out at the gym. While this is certainly not discouraged, there are many other creative ways to elevate your activity levels as you go about your daily routine.
One of the best things you can do to ensure long term weight control is to adopt healthy habits so that you are consistently burning calories throughout each day. Let’s face it, most of us lead busy lives and it’s easy to say, “I just don’t have time to work out”, but this excuse disappears if you just build more physical activity into your existing daily routine.
There are so many opportunities to be active right in your own home!
- Rather than laying down to watch TV, try doing some stretching, sit-ups, pushups, planks or riding a stationary bike to keep your body moving. Not only will this help you burn calories, but it will keep you from the temptation of snacking while watching your favorite shows.
- While you’re on the phone, stand up instead of sitting or lying down.
- Rather than hiring someone to do your housekeeping or gardening, do it yourself.
If you work behind a desk all day, it may seem to be a foregone conclusion that you’ll be doomed to five very sedentary days every week, but this doesn’t have to be the case. Here are some ideas on how you can stay active at the office:
- Park further away so that you’re forced to take a walk at the beginning and end of each day.
- Set an alarm on your phone so that every hour you are reminded to get up and stretch, refill your water or use the restroom.
- Rather than emailing or calling your colleagues, when it’s appropriate, walk into their office to discuss ideas and business matters. This increases activity as well as face-to-face communication, which may help to strengthen your in-office relationships.
- During your lunch hour, bring comfortable shoes and take a short walk after you’ve eaten.
Building some of these suggestions into your daily routine is a simple way to help you lose weight more quickly and adopt ongoing healthy lifestyle habits that promote weight maintenance. The ideas mentioned here are only some of the possibilities. Talk to your Medifast counselor to get more ideas on the activities that best suit your personal daily routine. We can help you to evaluate and set daily activity goals to achieve long term weight loss success in Arizona!
Medifast offers several weight loss clinics in the metro Phoenix area, including Scottsdale, Glendale, Gilbert and Chandler. Complimentary consultations are being offered, which includes a Body Composition Analysis. Call us at (602) 996-9669 today!